Monday, September 7, 2015

Proverbs 1:20-22: Will I hear?

Wisdom calls aloud outside; she raises her voice in the open squares. She cries out in the chief concourses, at the openings of the gates in the city she speaks her words: “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge. Proverbs 1:20-22

Calls aloud: a ringing cry, cry aloud, in summons, exhortation
Love simplicity: object folly, evil, etc.
Delight: in bad sense of inordinate, ungoverned, selfish desire, take pleasure in
Fools: stupid fellow, dullard
Knowledge: discernment, understanding, wisdom: in highest sense, knowledge of God (including obedience)

Love one. Hate the other. 
Love selfish desire. Hate wisdom and obedience to God. 
It's one or the other, the two do not mix. 

Wisdom is crying out: "How long? Until when? You stupid one, who love evil, how long will you continue fulfilling selfish desire?"
An alarm is sounding! Yet, sadly the fools have turned a deaf ear to it. 

How often do I choose folly, evil desires rather than obeying God? How often do I ignore Wisdom shouting at me to change, yet I turn a deaf ear and continue in the ways of sin? 

I'm so grateful that God in His wisdom does SHOUT to get my attention. I'm so thankful that even when I make the wrong choice, God in His grace and mercy is forgiving and loving. 

In order to hear Wisdom shouting above the enticement of sin, my heart must be permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). And when I have reverence for God, I'll want to listen to and follow after Wisdom. Wisdom is crying aloud—will I hear? 

No comments:

Post a Comment