Saturday, July 25, 2015

Impact

If you are looking for the posts about
God's Amazing Blessing Announcement—I'm moving!
here's the link to the first Part: 

______________________________________________
This post is the beginning of my study of Ruth.
The book of Ruth begins with background and introduction. The background is there was a famine so Elimelech took his family to Moab, where there was food.

Let's take a look at the people involved:
Elimelech - means "That is, God is my king"; the Dad
Naomi - means "Beautiful", the Mom (Mother-in-law)
Mahlon - means "Infirmity', son 1
Chilion - means "Finished", son 2
Orpah - means "fawn", a Moabitess, the wife of Chilion 
Ruth - means "friend", a Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon

We learn in Ruth 1:3, that Elimelech dies and leaves Naomi a widow raising two sons. We then learn that the sons marry Moabite women in Ruth 1:4. Then in Ruth 1:5, both Mahlon and Chilion die. 

Now we have three widows and Naomi hears that God is once again blessing the land of Israel and wants to return home. She tells her daughter-in-laws for them to return to their families, as she will go back home. Oprah, finally agrees and returns to her family. Ruth, however, decides to stay with Naomi and "Your people shall be my people and your God my God." (Ruth 1:7-16)

So Naomi and Ruth set out to return to Bethlehem, to the home of Naomi (Ruth 1:19). 

I wonder what Naomi and Ruth talked about on that journey. Years before Naomi left Bethlehem to travel to Moab. Did Naomi share how she felt when traveling to a strange place? Did Naomi talk about home and the people and places she missed? Did Naomi talk more about God and the love for His people, the Israelites? 

From what we read, Ruth saw something in Naomi during the time in Moab, that made Ruth wiling to leave a place she knew well and give up the idols and family and travel to an unknown—where she would be an "outsider". 

I can't help but think of the testimony and influence Naomi must have had in Ruth's life. It must have been a powerful impact for Ruth to want to follow Naomi and create a new life in a foreign land. 

Makes me think of the impact I have in the lives of those around me. Am I showing God in a "good light" so that others will want to have the relationship with God that I have? 
If I do want to have a good impact in the lives of others, it all begins with a heart permeated with a deep sense reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). 

No comments:

Post a Comment