Saturday, November 12, 2011

Consider the Magnitude of this Fact

I'm studying the Book of Job. In Job 3, we learn some of Job's theology. Job wished that God forget the day Job was born, because of Job's anguish and pain. In order for someone to "forget" they have to know about it first! 
Job knew very well, that God knew the VERY moment Job was conceived. God knew all about Job—before Job was even formed. Consider the magnitude of that fact. God is very aware of our MOMENT of conception.

Psalms 139
O God, You know me inside and out, through and through. 
Everything I do, every thought that flits through my mind, every step I take, every plan that I make, every word that I speak,  You know, even before these things happen.

You know my past; You know my future.

Your enveloping presence covers my every move. Your knowledge of me sometimes comforts me, sometimes frightens me, but it is always far beyond my comprehension. 


There is no way to escape You, no place to hide.
If I ascend to the heights of joy, You are there before me. 
If I plunge into the depths of despair, You are there to meet me. 
I could fly to the other side of the world, and find You there to lead the way. 
I could walk into the darkest night, only to find You there to lighten its dismal hours.


You were present at my conception. You guided the molding of my unformed members within the body of my mother. 
Nothing about me, from beginning to end, has been hidden from Your eyes.
How frightfully, fantastically wonderful it all is! 


May Your all-knowing, everywhere present Spirit continue to search out my feelings and thoughts. 
Deliver me from that which my hurt or destroy me, and guide me along the paths of love and truth. 
Psalms Now by Leslie Brandt

Yes, Job wanted God to forget the day he was conceived. Job wanted to have that day not even exist, so that Job wouldn't have to endure his suffering. But Job did not curse God, because Job knew that God had a plan and purpose in mind.
I think also that Job found comfort in the fact that if God knew Job's moment of conception, God was also VERY aware of what Job was enduring at that very moment.



Consider the magnitude of that fact!


The fact that God knows exactly what is happening, what I'm going through, all the details of my life—and CARES about it all.... that makes a very positive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment