Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Words and Music


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 47. Here is what I learned.

For God is the King of all the earth; sing praises in a skillful psalm and with understanding. Psalm 47:7 (AMP)

For God is the King of all the earth. Sing praises with a well written song. Psalm 47:7 (NLV)

He’s Lord over earth, so sing your best songs to God. Psalm 47:7 (MSG)

Let your hearts and heads go with your voices. Understand what you sing; and feel what you understand; and let the song be what will give instruction in righteousness to them that hear it. Sing wisely  Anglo-Saxon. Multitudes sing foolishly. Clarke's Commentary on the Bible 
Sound doctrine praises God. Even under the economy of types and ceremonies, it is clear that the Lord had regard to the spirituality of worship, and would be praised thoughtfully, intelligently, and with deep appreciation of the reason for song, It is to be feared from the slovenly way in which some make a noise in singing, that they fancy any sound will do. On the other hand, from the great attention paid by some to the mere music, we feel sadly sure that the sense has no effect upon them. The Treasury of David

Often tunes get stuck in my head. The other day I woke up with “Jingle Bells” on my mind... guess I was thinking of Christmas in July. Just because a tune is catchy or has words that sound good, doesn’t mean that it is a good song. 

When I sing praises to God, I need to first make sure that the words and meanings are doctrinally correct. Secondly, I need to make sure that the words are honor God, and not me or mankind. And lastly, I need to make sure that as I sing the song, I’m not bring attention to myself, rather should be giving glory to God. 

To create a positive day, the words and music of my songs need to be true praise and worship to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment