Sunday, August 4, 2013

Not Relying on Myself


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 19. Here is what I learned.

Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then shall I be blameless, and I shall be innocent and clear of great transgression. Psalm 19:13 (AMP)

Keep me safe, also, from willful sins; don't let them rule over me. Then I shall be perfect and free from the evil of sin. Psalm 19:13 (GNT)

Keep me [Restrain your servant] from ·the sins of pride [proud thoughts]; don’t let them ·rule [dominate] me. Then I can be pure and innocent of the greatest of sins. Psalm 19:13 (EXB)

Keep back thy servant also - Restrain thy servant; or, do not suffer him to commit those sins.
From presumptuous sins - The word used here is manifestly designed to stand in some respects in contrast with the secret faults mentioned in the previous verse. The word - זד zêd - means properly that which is boiling, swelling, inflated; then proud, arrogant; with the accessory notion of shameless wickedness or impiety. Gesenius, Lexicon. The word is rendered proud in Psalm 86:14; Psalm 119:21, Psalm 119:51, Psalm 119:69, Psalm 119:78, Psalm 119:85,Psalm 119:122; Proverbs 21:24; Isaiah 13:11; Jeremiah 43:2; Malachi 3:15; Malachi 4:1.
It does not occur elsewhere. The prevailing thought is that of pride, and the reference is particularly to sins which proceed from self-confidence; from reliance on one's own strength. The word does not mean open sins, or flagrant sins, so much as those which spring from self-reliance or pride. The prayer is substantially that he might have a proper distrust of himself, and might not be left by an improper reliance on his own power to the commission of sin. This also is said in view of the extent and spirituality of the law of God - expressing the earnest desire of the author of the psalm that he might not be left to violate a law so pure and holy. Barnes' Notes on the Bible

Sins which proceed from self-confidence. “I can do it myself, my way” comes to mind! 

I heard a message this morning on 1 Samuel 5. The Philistines took the ark of God from the Israelites and place it in the temple of their god, Dagon. The Philistines thought that since they had the ark of the God of the Israelites, the Philistines now would be blessed and able to win wars. However, the Philistines did not respect God, nor did they obey what He said. Therefore instead of blessings, they were cursed with tumors and mice. The Philistines wanted the blessings of God without obedience and respect for who God is. 

To create a positive day, I need to pray, Psalm 19:13, and make sure that I’m not relying on myself, rather I am respecting and obeying God.

No comments:

Post a Comment