Monday, December 14, 2015

Proverbs 12:24-28 Encouragement from God!

The hand of the diligent will rule, but the lazy man will be put to forced labor. Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, but a good word makes it glad. The righteous should choose his friends carefully, for the way of the wicked leads them astray. The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting, but diligence is man’s precious possession. In the way of righteousness is life, and in its pathway there is no death. Proverbs 12:24-28
Good word makes it glad.
Good: an agreeable, pleasant to the higher nature
Word: saying, utterance, sentence, as a section of a discourse
Glad: cheer up, make joyful, be make merry

Choose his friends carefully.
Friend: companion, an associate, neighbor
Choose: the righteous searches out, and is a guide to, his friend

I think Proverbs 12:25 and 26 go hand in hand. A good word makes us glad; choose friends carefully. Friends are usually the ones that have a good word for us! It's important to have godly friends to help put things in perspective. 

Good, agreeable—but not just a word to make one feel good, or what a person "wants" to hear. Rather, this "good" is from the perspective of "higher nature", think of it as "encouragement from God." Now how cool is that? That you can be used to share encouragement from God! Now that is an awesome responsibility and privilege. 

As I look back, I can't say that "I chose my friends." Rather, God in His gracious and unique ways introduced me to people who became my friends. I'm so very thankful for those people in my life who encourage, sharpen, and help keep me thinking godly. 

If I want to share encouragement from God, and be a godly friend to others, my heart must be permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). For when I am fearing and respecting and loving God, I can then, be used share encouragement from God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment