Sunday, February 17, 2013

Peace in the Midst of Pain


Throughout this year, each day of the month, I'm "Treasure Hunting" in a Psalm. I've created a "Ponder Every Morsel of Truth" Book to record the truths as I learn them. The seventeenth of each month, I'm studying Psalm 13. Here's what Treasure I found today.

How long must I ·worry [or bear pain; [hold counsels] and ·feel sad [hold sorrow] in my heart all day? How long will my enemy ·win [rise up] over me? Psalm 13:2 (EXB)

How: of time to what point ?
Long: as far (or long, or much) as.

How long? Like that proverbial question, “Are we there yet?”. How much longer? Will it ever end? 

Sorrow: affliction -- grief
Heart: inner man, mind, will, specifically of seat of the emotions and passions.
Daily: always, continually, each day.

Each day when I awake I hope to find the sorrow, grief, pain gone, but it remains. 
Having sorrow in my heart daily - Every day; constantly. That is, there was no intermission to his troubles. The sorrow in his heart seems to have been not merely that which was caused by troubles from without, but also that which sprang from the painful necessity of attempting to form plans for his own relief - plans which seemed to be in vain. Barnes' Notes on the Bible
In October 2000, I injured my back. I figured in a few days that pain would be gone. However, it remains. Each day when I wake up, the pain greets me. At times it’s overwhelming. I wonder, how long will the pain remain. Will it ever go away? 

Yet, greater than physical pain, is the grief and sorrow that is present when the soul is in pain. What causes ‘soul pain’? Several things. First, and foremost, I can cause ‘soul pain’ when I’m not right with God. When I allow sin to come between me and God. Secondly, ‘soul pain’ can be caused by Satan trying to rob me of God’s peace. Doubts and fears take place of God’s peace and comfort. And lastly, ‘soul pain’ can be growing pains. As God stretches my faith and teaches me more about Him, the soul can grieve knowing what an amazing God I have, and what a small being I am, yet He loves me. 

How long? Will it ever end? Although the pain may not end while on earth, knowing that God is still God does allows my soul to have peace—even in the midst of pain. God is still at work. He remains faithful to His promises. He will not forsake His children. God is still God! 

I don’t have to be ‘pain-free’ to create a positive day. I only need to rest in God’s goodness and watch Him work, then I can have peace in the midst of pain. And the peace that God gives, creates a positive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment